Blazing (choking on the smoke) a Trail to My Blog

Between 2003 and 2006 I created this blogspot. I just never got around to setting it up. I remember being thrilled with the name for my blog. My family and I had just returned from a vacation which had included visiting the Ingalls homesites at Burr Oak, Iowa, Walnut Grove, Minnesota, and DeSmet, South Dakota. I have been a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan since second grade and I had recently purchased my own "little house," so the name Little House on the Internet seemed appropriate. If Laura Ingalls Wilder were alive today, I know she would have had a blog, so at the end of 2009 I begin my pioneer attempt at blogging!


Monday, December 07, 2009

Keeping in Touch with Old Friends

I spent several hours on the phone with my friend, Robin, yesterday.  We've known each other for 28 years now.   Robin and I used to work at the telephone company in the 80's.   I moved out of her area about 24 years ago.  We used to talk on the phone all the time!  In the early 90's Robin used to beg me to get an e-mail account, but I just couldn't understand the need for it, we could talk on the phone!  In 1996, when I finally did get an e-mail account, I just couldn't believe that I didn't didn't sign up sooner.  Robin has been patiently asking me to join Facebook which I am still resisting.  I suppose with the blog I'm half way there.  Robin's home is about halfway between my home and most of my relatives, so I see Robin two or three times a year. I usually call when I get on the road and see if she can meet me for lunch, dinner, or if I can just stop and visit. She never complains to me about my impromptu visits or lack of courtesy for arriving without warning--the mark of a true friend! 

We decided yesterday that we have been able to keep in touch through out the years because we write.    It's not the number of contacts or the length of them, it's the details.  It's the difference between LMAO and I laughed so much I cried!  I have many friends who forward jokes, cute stories, interesting facts, and cool videos and I appreciate that they want to share them with me, but I'd rather hear about the events and happenings in their own lives.  It's more interesting to me and helps me stay in touch with who they are and what is going on in their lives.   Thank you Robin for your friendship and the details! :) 

Laura Fact:  Laura's daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, won The O'Henry Prize in 1922 for her short story, Innocence.   I read it once.  I came away with the impression that it was based loosely on the time her parents spent in Florida.  There are several familliar characters (names) in the story.  Parents, it's not for young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...